Americans Get Plenty of 'Fat to Go' 04 May 2006, 00:10 UTC
As more and more Americans become obese, companies are cashing in. They're building heftier bedsprings and baby strollers, reinforced barstools — even gigantic caskets. A photograph accompanying an Associated Press(AP) story about this shows a man standing behind a coffin that looks like a river barge! Instead of the usual 70 centimeters, it's 132 centimeters wide.
All this, because, according to the U.S. government, about two-thirds of our men and women, and one-third of our children, are overweight.
Fast-food restaurants get a lot of the blame, but most of them offer at least a few lower-fat alternatives to their greasy burgers and fries.
Even bigger villains are the so-called "convenience stores" — convenient, if you're in a hurry to get fat. One that the Washington Post found near a school in a poor neighborhood sold about 640 bags of honey cheese curls, 140 bags of salted potato chips, 240 packages of sugary shortcake rolls, and 2,400 bottles of sweet soda — all in just five school days. The owner was proud of his low prices. "That lets the kids get the cheapest breakfast in town," he told the newspaper. "A core meal of juice, cake, and two bags of chips."
But it's not just poor Americans who are on a sugar high. On a recent trip through the South, one couple kept track of the offerings at the little quick-in/quick-out stores attached to gasoline stations. Most had not a single apple or banana or carton of low-fat milk. Every shelf was jammed with sugary drinks, fattening beer and sausages and potato chips and candy bars — not to mention cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobaccos, and snuff.
The couple DID find breakfast cereal — sugar-frosted, of course. With these kinds of choices, it's no wonder we're super-sizing our theater seats, our underwear . . . and our caskets.
- Fat to Go : to Go (take out)
- obese : adj If someone is obese, they are extremely fat.
- heftier : adj Hefty means large in size, weight, or amount
- stroller : A stroller is a small chair on wheels, in which a baby or small child can sit and be wheeled around.[ AM ]
- reinforce : If something reinforces a feeling, situation, or process, it makes it stronger or more intense.
- barstools : 다리가 하나로된 긴 의자 (보통 등받침이 없음)
- casket : A casket is a small box in which you keep valuable things
- coffin : A coffin is a box in which a dead body is buried or cremated.
- barge : 바지선. A barge is a long, narrow boat with a flat bottom. Barges are used for carrying heavy loads, especially on canals.
- alternative : If one thing is an alternative to another, the first can be found, used, or done instead of the second.
- greasy : Something that is greasy has grease on it or in it.
- villains : A villain is someone who deliberately harms other people or breaks the law in order to get what he or she wants.